5 Ways to Process Problems Biblically

This 1-minute devotion shares 5 Ways to Process Problems Biblically (each with Scripture Reference).

Have you ever tried praying about a problem but it just kept replaying in your mind and you ended up feeling worse? 

These are some things I've learned about effectively processing my problems:

1. I remind myself God is trustworthy (Proverbs 3:5-6). 
See "5 Keys to Trusting God Wholeheartedly."

2. I write,* recite and study Bible verses that speak to my specific problems (2 Tim. 3:16,17). For example: if fearful, I might recite Joshua 1:9
See "I Can't Change."
 
3. I focus on what is good in my life (Philippians 4:8,9). 
See "2 Ways to Maintain Healthy Thoughts."
  
4. I thank God for my many blessings (Psalm 103).
See "Thankfulness and Prayer."
  
5. I take my negative thoughts captive (2 Corinthians 10:5). This is perhaps the hardest part for me and the most critical. It means I constantly battle negative thoughts by thinking of God's truth instead (steps 1-4 are a means for doing this). 
See "Be Your Own Thought Police."

It’s possible to pray without doing these things, but it won't be effective prayer.

* According to The Benefits of Journaling for Stress Management by Elizabeth Scott, M.S, writing/journaling as you pray can help you problem-solve because it engages both hemispheres of the brain which helps you process more effectively.
---------------------
https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word: Wisdom for Life. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.


This 1-minute devotion shares 5 Ways to Process Problems Biblically (each with Scripture Reference).


12 comments:

  1. Hi Gail - I've heard it said many times that the best way to pray is to pray the word. Excellent demonstration of that right here.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, pray without ceasing! Thank you for your words of wisdom today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reminders - always needing to be reminded, especially #5. That is hardest for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I find it interesting that when we are told to bring our requests to God, we are told to do it "with thanksgiving."

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'v had a depressing prayer time, it's usually because deep down I'm really fretting aloud and just calling it prayer. Prayer means I trust God to be at work in the situation, believe he can accomplish his will, and truly believe that his will is best for me. Hard to do, but oh, so powerful. Thanks for this thought-provoking post, wise friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I have found this site. I think God meant for me to be here. Thank you. Our God Reigns!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful simple application of God's truths. Truly a shelter in a time of storm. Bless you Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning. Thank you for your wisdom. I have been receiving your 1 minute devotionals for a few years now. Has your format changed? Yhe emails now are like a link to a devotional, and then there are more links in that devotional to more info. I wish the nugget of wisdom would be more explcit and readily available when I open my email, instead of having to click many locations ks to get to it. Did I miss some changes? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi drone,
      Yes, my format has changed, but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. My work load became too much for me to write a devotion 5 days a week, and since I have approximately 2000 devotions in my archives which many readers have never read, I started re-publishing on Tuesday's and Thursdays. Unfortunately, there is no way for my current blog program to republish without creating duplicates that cause problems on the blog. So I'm now offering the link to the archive. I explained this change when I began, but may not have explained it very well, and it would probably be good if I explained it again more thoroughly.

      If it were possible, I would prefer to send you the full devotion, and I apologize for this change.

      Delete
  9. Thanks Gail for this timely reminder,number 5 is hardest for me too,when I'm struggling with something.xxx

    ReplyDelete